Monday, June 8, 2009

Essential Connections-Diet and Exercise

Another key connection point every day is our bodies. We take our bodies for granted much of the time; that is, until they break down. But just like a car, the daily care that you give your body largely determines how it will perform in the long run.

Specifically, what you put into your body (the “fuel”, if you will) is very important. You wouldn’t expect a high performance car to run on low quality fuel. The same holds for your body. So be aware of what you feed your body and how you engage it every day. Three areas to call out are water, food, and exercise.

Water: The first area to highlight here is water intake. Most people are chronically dehydrated. Try to keep a water bottle with you and track how much water you are drinking every day. Most adults needs 64 oz. at a minimum. This doesn’t take into account water lost through sweat due to exercise (see below for more on exercise). So drink, drink, drink - it’s nearly impossible to get too much water.

Food: Secondly, the food you take in has a direct and cumulative effect on your body. Get 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Trust me, I know this is difficult. I don’t usually achieve that goal. But hey, trying and falling short is better than not having a goal. Also limit your fat and sugar intake.

Exercise: Another great way to connect with your body is to get some sort of physical exercise each day. I’m not talking about running 10 miles or training for a triathlon. But do try to get 20-30 minutes of activity every day at a minimum. Personally, I like to get my workout done in the morning. It helps to kick my day off right and get my metabolism jump-started. I know this doesn't work for everyone’s schedules, but regardless of what time of day, it’s best to work out at the same time each day so your body gets used to it.

I know you already know all this stuff. Heck, I’m writing the post and I don’t do all of this consistently. But again, having a goal to aspire to is a good thing. It stretches you and gets you out of your comfort zone.

Need I remind you that this is the only body you get in this life? Yep, I’m sorry to break it to you. So take care of yourself. It’s your job, not anyone else’s.

Next up: Connecting with your mind and emotions.

No comments: